A GIFT of FIVE to BRING 2010 ALIVE! In the interest of shared accountability, here goes:
1. STOP APOLOGIZING. Especially for stuff that I have absolutely no control over! I asked the deli worker the other day for pastrami. He said he was out. I immediately apologized. He looked puzzled. (What the hell??!) Enough said.
2. SIMPLIFY! I have way more stuff than I need, and someone else in this world has way less than they need. It is my responsibility to balance this equation.
3. MAKE HEALTHIER CHOICES in FOOD and in REST. I don't drink excessively; I don't smoke or do illicit drugs. I eschew porn and other nasty habits. For years, however, I have routinely sacrificed sleep in lieu of accomplishing tasks. Getting too old for that. I now give myself the gift of regular rest!
4. READ and WRITE for PLEASURE. I started a blog, which should help push me to take time to write more regularly. Now I just need to make time for pleasure reading, and grading research papers does not count!
5. LIVE to PLEASE MYSELF. This sounds awkwardly selfish, but that's not necessarily what I mean; allow me to explain. For more years than I can count, I have made personal decisions based on pleasing others and fulfilling their desires and ideals. At the age of 46, I still find myself making decisions based on what I think would make my mother happiest, my sister proudest, my kids giddiest, etc. Why continue this torture? Am I not old enough to make some decisions for my approval? Maybe I should label this one LIVE to DEFINE MYSELF.
WEll, those are my Gift of Five to Bring 2010 Alive. What are yours??! Please feel free to comment on mine and to share your own!